Policies & Requirements
Main Line Animal Rescue’s Guide to adoption:
OUR SHELTER IS NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ADOPTING
AN ANIMAL PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS…
Main Line Animal Rescue adopts in our local area ONLY. Please visit your local shelter if you are not in our adoption area, there are many pets all over the country looking for loving homes!
PLEASE NOTE: CAT ADOPTIONS Main Line Animal Rescue does adoptions in our local community ONLY, to families with excellent vet references who are committed to providing an excellent life for the pet, and this includes yearly checkups with your veterinarian. We understand that some families have never had a pet, so will not have vet references, and take that in to consideration during the adoption process.
PLEASE NOTE: DOG ADOPTIONS Main Line Animal Rescue does adoptions in our local community ONLY, to families with excellent vet references If you are applying for a dog, you need to have an installed fenced yard in which a dog can safely play without getting out. We inspect every fence and will not release a dog unless the fence is COMPLETELY secure
The Volunteers and Staff at MLAR acts as agents for each animal in our care and their comfort and safety is our primary concern
CLICK HERE to fill out our online application. Thank you for considering adoption.
(DO NOT SUBMIT APPLICATION IF YOU HAVE NOT READ OR AGREED TO ALL OF THE BELOW CONDITIONS.)
PLEASE FILL OUT ONLY ONE APPLICATION.
- You must fill out an application before we will consider you for adoption. Please keep in mind that any false, incomplete or withheld information will cause us to void your application or call 610-933-0606 to receive an application by fax or in the mail.
- If you do not live in our area we will recommend that you call a shelter in your local area or visit petfinder.com. We are not able to adopt out of state.
- If you are in our adoption area we will proceed with checking your vet references indicated on your application, if you have had a pet before we would be looking for a consistent vet history, indicating that you have had at a minimum annual vet visits for required shots and that your pets have all been spayed or neutered.
- Someone will e-mail or call you to set up a time to come and visit the animals at the kennel. You will be meeting with a volunteer who is familiar with the pet that you have applied for. Our visits are by appointment only so please come at your appointed time to be sure the volunteer is available to work with you.
- You will have an opportunity to meet with a volunteer who has been trained as an adoption counselor who will help you find a pet that is well suited to you and your family. It’s possible that we will not have the right pet for you at this time, in which case we will recommend that you check with another shelter where you may find the perfect match. We sometimes have multiple applications on a particular animal. Applications are not on a first come first serve basis; rather, we strive to find the best possible home for each animal.
- If we have a dog that is the right match we will come to your home and check your fence to make sure it is secure (we do not require fenced yards for cats). We accept electric in-ground fence systems that have been installed by a licensed, recognized, professional installer: Invisible Fence, Pet Stop, and Astro Fence. Otherwise you must have a traditional fence which is completely secure to ensure that there is no available area where the dog can escape. We will not release a dog if you do not have a secure area for the dog to play. Please let us know if you would be willing to install a fence if you do not already have one.
- Once your vet (and fence for dogs) are approved and you have found a great match your new buddy will be going home! We ask cat adopters to bring their own secured carriers for transport home. We provide collars and leashes and an ID (which must remain on the dogs collar for at least one year) for dogs. We can not “hold” dog while families go on vacation, so please be prepared to adopt when you submit your application. All of the animals at MLAR are up to date on their shots and are microchipped, we will provide you with these records.
- Please read your adoption contract carefully and sign it and return it to us immediately. You will have a copy in your adoption packet.
- MLAR is very interested in the welfare of our animals so we will check in with you periodically to see how things are going. We are also happy to help you in any way at any time if you have an issue with the pet, please don’t hesitate to call us if you need assistance. It is our policy that any animal must be returned to MLAR if there is ever a need to give them up.
DO NOT SUBMIT APPLICATION IF YOU HAVE NOT READ OR AGREED TO ALL OF THE ABOVE CONDITIONS.